Tuesday, May 16, 2006

People, People, People

Some people get so caught up in thinking that their way of thinking is so right, they forget that sometimes they might actually be wrong. This is especially true when you're going to say it aloud. I'm glad that I've become calm in my old age. I'm glad that shit doesn't bother me as much as it use to. I'm glad that I could laugh at stupid shit and not be offended by it.

As I always say, "You can't control what other people say or do, but you could control your reaction." I do admit that there are certain circumstances that are a bit more difficult to control. We're human. I'm not perfect and neither is anyone else. So that leaves some wiggle room for errors.

Anyway, tonight was one of those post mothers' day shift where not much was going on. Everyone that was going out to eat, went out yesterday. I got sat with these two very affluent older ladies. They were out to dinner for some chatting. One of the ladies mentions that she's from Florida. Now I am going to quote how the conversation went.

Lady: "I'm not use to American cuisine." (this is after I explained the features to them)

Me: "Oh, no?"

Lady: "No, I live in South Florida."

Me: "Oh, really? Where in South Florida do you live?"

Lady: "Key Biscayne. Are you familiar with it?"

Me: "Actually, I am. I lived in Miami for two years."

Lady: "Well, you won't like it anymore."

Me: "Really, why is that?"

Lady: "Because it's full of Latin people."

Me: "Oh."

Lady: "They are everywhere. There are a bunch of restaurants, but not even the waiters know English. Everyone speaks Spanish."

Me: "Oh."

Lady: "I refuse to learn Spanish. They are in this country and they should learn English."

Me: "Hmm, Ok."

If this would have happened to me, let's say, ten years ago, I would have cursed off this lady to no end. To tell the truth, I wasn't offended. I found the situation to be quite humorous. This lady had no clue that I was "Latin." This is not the first time this has happened to me, either.

Even though I wasn't offended, I did have to somehow let this lady know that she should think before she speaks. So, I grabbed one of the bussers and let her in on what this lady told me. We both agreed that we would go up to the table together and try to clear it, which at that point I would speak Spanish. Man did that work! The lady was kissing my ass before the end of the meal. I love it!

To be honest, this table made my night. It was such a boring night that I guess I needed something to spice it up. Not only was I laughing at the situation, but I had all of my coworkers laughing right along with me. So, thank you ladies for being so ignorant! You made my night!

2 comments:

all that's right, or not said...

How's that whole exercise thing going? I have heard about any of lately, is that good or bad? Funny story!!! Miss you.

Xia Diaz said...

I've been bad with the exercise, but I've lost a few pounds. So, whatever it is I'm doing is working. Miss you much!!!