Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Why so Quiet?

I've been caught up in a "new" activity that I've been devoting a tremendous amount of time to. It has even gotten in the way of my crocheting/knitting time. If I could only get rid of work and the amount of time I spend online (I need to cut that down; it's getting in the way), then I would have all the time in the world to do both activities. The reason I'm choosing today to tell you about it is because it's been exactly a month since I started.

I was really sad and angry on September 11th. I tend to do several things when I feel this way. I either stay in bed, eat, or work out. Usually when anger is involved, I try to get rid of it as fast as possible. I don't like that feeling to linger around. The best way to release the anger is by working out. I started exercising again!!

This time around, I wanted to remain quiet about it. I'm always telling you how I'm going to workout and never do it. I'm tired of letting you down and most importantly, myself. I decided that I would start working out and once it's become a routine (which usually takes about 4 to 5 weeks), I would let you in on it. So, it's been 5 weeks and I'm feeling great! I've already lost 2 inches around my waist and don't get winded when I'm running up the stairs.

Not only have I started working out, but I've also started jogging. This is a huge step for me because I've never been able to jog. I've always been very active, but jogging just kicks my butt. I'm jogging/walking instead of hitting the gym. There's this beautiful parkway by where I live that is lined with green. People bring their kids and dogs here. Many people also jog around the area. It leads to the Botanical Gardens and if you make a left, you end up in the Bronx River Parkway Reservation. I've been taking my time enjoying the greenery. I'm loving jogging. Although, I think I might have overdone it on Monday, I've been feeling great. I'm taking it slowly so that I don't mess up my knees.

There are several reasons why I started jogging. First off, I think I might have gain a few pounds. My clothes are fitting tighter. I definitely need to take care of that. Secondly, jogging is something I've always been bad at. I need to condition my body to running. It is a great exercise to get into and it makes your legs look great. Thirdly, I'm tired of going to the gym. I love being outdoors. It inspires me to stay out longer. To be honest, exercising outside is very spiritual for me. I feel that everything around me is rooting me on. It's a great feeling. Last, but not least, I want to become fit for hiking. What better way to do it than to task my body by jogging? Hiking requires that your entire body be fit. Jogging takes care of that, especially the legs. I want my legs to be able to handle going up and down the mountains without burning. The last time I went hiking, my legs burned so much when I was going down the cliff that I want to make sure the burn lessens.

I'm going on a long hike in 11 days that I want to be prepared for. This hike will be about 8 miles long and take about 5 hours. There's a very steep ascent in the trail that I want to be prepared for. Jogging should prepare me for it. I'm sure I'll do fine, but I don't want to be the one that has to stop and turn around because my body can't take it anymore. I have six more jogs until the day of the hike. With the hours I have at work, I'm only able to jog 4 days a week. I might have to wake up early this Friday and Saturday and jog before my doubles at work. Six jogs might not be enough, but then again, I don't want to over do it.

Now that my secret is out, I want to keep you updated on my workouts. I think it will be a great inspiration for those that are contemplating on working out or are already working out but need moral support. Exercising is very important to me. Your body was meant to be worked out. It is extremely beneficial for all of us to workout. Obesity is a major problem in the United States and we need to do something about it. One thing is for sure, we need to move our asses!

No comments: