Saturday, March 05, 2005

Luck Anyone?

I was going to blog about how sick I am again. I began a few sentences, looked at them, and signed out. I felt so drained just seeing what I wrote that I couldn't even deal with it. Yes I am sick, so what? I have to move along. I decided for some unknown reason to search the word luck. So I came across a website called Fast Company. It is actually a magazine. Anyway, the article that I found is called "How to Make Your Own Luck." I found the article to be inspiring.

As you know I've been trying to be on a positive mode. At times I find it very difficult to remain positive. This is especially true now that Dan and I are at a culminating period in Florida. To leave or not to leave? Who knows? At any rate, reading this article reminds me on how to look at things differently. I have to remember not to focus on the negative, which is very easy to do.

Here are four principles that Wiseman (I do wonder if his name is real), head of a psychology research department came up with:

1. Maximize Chance Opportunities
Lucky people are skilled at creating, noticing, and acting upon chance opportunities. They do this in various ways, which include building and maintaining a strong network, adopting a relaxed attitude to life, and being open to new experiences.

2. Listen to Your Lucky Hunches
Lucky people make effective decisions by listening to their intuition and gut feelings. They also take steps to actively boost their intuitive abilities -- for example, by meditating and clearing their mind of other thoughts.

3. Expect Good Fortune
Lucky people are certain that the future will be bright. Over time, that expectation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because it helps lucky people persist in the face of failure and positively shapes their interactions with other people.

4. Turn Bad Luck Into Good
Lucky people employ various psychological techniques to cope with, and even thrive upon, the ill fortune that comes their way. For example, they spontaneously imagine how things could have been worse, they don't dwell on the ill fortune, and they take control of the situation.

I suggest you read the article. Whether you believe in creating your own happiness or not, it doesn't hurt to look at things positively.

No comments: