Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's Sunday Already?

Wow, the weekend flies by when you don't have much free time. Well, I have next weekend to look forward to. Let's see, my little guy is growing sooooo fast!! He's already up to 11 lbs. and 8 oz. Can you believe that? He's outgrown all of his newborn clothes and some of his 0-3. We bought him 3-6 month old onesies and pj's. Hopefully, they'll last him awhile.

Mommy's milk is increasing! I don't know if it's all in my head, which allows me to relax and let down or the tea actually works. My frozen supply has gone up to two days worth of milk and I even have four bottles set-up in the fridge for when he feeds. I am so happy about this. I thought for sure I would have to start introducing formula to him. Obviously, he's drinking enough milk because in a week he gained almost a pound.

Speaking of feeding, I decided that I would start nursing him on weekends and most likely when I get home from work. I had stopped doing so because he was not having it with my boobs. He would cry a lot and become so frustrated and exhausted that he would just fall asleep. So, it's been about 4 weeks that I haven't nursed him (once in a while to soothe him). It didn't bother me at first, but as the days went by, I felt that we were both missing out on something special. Will and I have bonded just fine, but I feel that we need that extra bonding that you only get from nursing.

When I got home Friday night from work, I tried nursing. He fought with me a bit, but eventually drank for close to 40 minutes. I was soooo happy about this. Nursing didn't go well in the middle of the night, but yesterday we did fine. When I had to feed him at 3:30 this morning we did great and he nursed for 40 minutes. I guess since he's older, he nurses better. He doesn't bite or hurt me like he did when he first started nursing.

So, what I started doing as a result of nursing him is that I pump immediately after I'm done nursing (well, actually when I put him down to sleep). I completely drain out the boob he drank from and obviously pump out the other one. I think this is the key to increasing my milk supply. Even after nursing him, I still get enough to make a bottle and sometimes to store (very important).

Even though I started nursing again, Dan and I are still sharing the feeding responsibilities. I do one feeding and he does the next. I feel it's important that he remains involved because it helps with their bonding. While he feeds the baby, I pump out milk. Although, I have to admit that it's very challenging to wake up at night just to pump. There have been plenty of times that I've almost talked myself out of it.

Well, it's time for me to go. I'll leave you with a picture of my sleeping prince (he woke up a few minutes after the picture was taken).

No comments: