Friday, June 08, 2007

Random Things

I always knew I would be tired when I got pregnant. Everyone told me so. What I didn't expect was to be utterly exhausted. This is compounded by the fact that I've been sick for the last two weeks. Last night, was the first time that I somewhat slept through the night without coughing. I set my alarm clock for 6 am, but I wake up much earlier than that. I would stay in bed if I didn't have to pee so much. So here I am, awake forty minutes before I should be (technically an hour but I tried staying in bed for 20 minutes).

I have five hours left to tutor my student. As much fun as I have with him because he's absolutely adorable and sweet, I'm dying for this to be over. This week has been the worse because I haven't taken lunch to make some overtime hours (I need to make as much cash as I can before I can't work anymore). I run out of work to the train and fall asleep so hard that two days ago I almost missed my stop. I woke up startled by the fact that the train was sitting there because it was being held for some reason. So now, I try to stay awake as much as possible, which makes me even drowsier when I get to this kid's place.

Speaking of my student, when I first met his parents, they told me that he didn't speak to his teacher. As of result of this phenomenon, he would most likely be left back in kindergarten. They were surprised by this because he had done so well in preschool. This usually sends red flags to me. Why such a sudden change? What happened?

Immediately, what I found out was that not that he didn't talk, but that it took him a little longer to answer the questions. When he finally gave me an answer, he whispered it. Hmm. A week goes by and his parents let me know that his teacher is somewhat mean to her students. Ahhhh. He's afraid of his teacher. She doesn't give him enough time to answer the question and blows him off. Fast forward a few weeks, I can't get him to shut up. He tells me all of these different stories. He answers my questions whether it's the answer or "I don't know." He smiles and obediently does all the work I give him (correctly). Believe me when I tell you that he does an enormous amount of work for his age. It actually surprises me.

Imagine being left back because you're afraid of your teacher? Poor thing. I've also been doing homework with him. The stuff that she gives him is ludicrous. The last homework he had was find a word with "si" in it and practice writing the word "had." It's the end of kindergarten. He should be doing much more than that. The work I give him is much more difficult than that. This teacher is suppose to have a Master's degree. How do you scare your students to silence and not teach them properly? His parents told me a peculiar thing. They feel that he's learned more with me in these past few weeks than he's learned all year. How sad is that? Luckily for my student, he's passing grade.

The little one doesn't stop kicking. I've realized that when he's hungry, he kicks the hardest. He won't stop either until I start eating. Then he calms down and moves around my stomach calmly. He definitely responds to my voice and Dan's. We talk to him all the time. The movements in my stomach are now visible to others. Dan gets a kick out of it and so do I. I think Will was mad at me the other night. I must have moved suddenly while I was sleeping because he kicked me so hard. I found it funny.

My stomach is getting bigger and so are my boobs. I'm running out of clothes to wear and bras. The bras I'm having a difficult time with. This past weekend I went to get some and for some reason there was only one bra in my size. It was a nursing bra. I bought it and I love it. The bra doesn't hurt my boobs like the other ones I wear. I have to get my hands on more of those.

Alright, there are more random things I want to talk about, but I have to jump into the shower. So much is going through my mind that it would take a lot of writing to get it out there. For now, I must hit save and publish now. Talk to you later!

No comments: