Monday, February 20, 2006

Healthy Eating

Nothing does it like PMS when it comes to feeling fat. Throughout the month, I'm happy about having lost fifty pounds. Although I am not at my target weight, I love how my body looks, how my face looks (no more double chin!), and most importantly, how I feel. I'm not embarrassed about how my body looks anymore (well except in dressing rooms; those lights!!!!). This all goes down the drain when I'm about to get my period.

First of all, I start eating like a pig. Maybe most won't consider it eating like a pig, but I do. I have no control over portions. Even Dan looks at me in bewilderment when I'm eating. For instance, on Saturday we stopped in at a pizzeria when I saw a corner slice of sicillian. I went directly for it. This slice was pretty big. Normally, I would have eaten half of it. Not this time!! I ate the whole thing. Not only did I eat the whole thing, I devoured it. Dan was amazed that I ate it.

Second of all, I am so bloated that I feel as if I'm painting my clothes on. The marks of the buttons of shirts and pants get imprinted on my skin even if it's not actually tight on me. That happened to me yesterday. I wore a blouse and a pair of pants. When I took off the clothes, I had all the buttons of the blouse and pants on my skin.

Lastly, I feel as if I gained weight. Now, I know I haven't gained any fat. I know I'm retaining lots of water, which explains why buttons are part of my skin. Even though I know it's just water retention, I can't help but feel like a fat pig. So because of the way I'm feeling, I decided to put Dan and I on a diet. It's not really a diet, but I'm adding more fruits and vegetables to our diet. Even Dan said he was going to lay off the junk food for at least this week.

I got my hands on green beans, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, apples, nectarines, plums, granola bars, and etc... My "diets" aren't restrictive at all, but I try to get rid of most of the bad stuff. As long as Dan is game, then the cooking becomes easier. Now if I could only beat this cold, then I would work out. I'm a firm believer that if you're not feeling well, then you shouldn't work out. I know I'm going to beat it because I'm taking vitamins, drinking oj (fresh squeezed when I'm at work), and taking extra vitamin c. I'm actually having some peppermint tea at this moment so that it loosens up my congestion.

My goal is to fit into a bikini this summer and I'm going to. Once the temperature starts warming up, I'm going to rollerblade on a consistent basis. That will definitely help me shed any excess pounds I have. I also want to start hiking, again. I haven't hiked in about three years. After I overextended my hip, I wasn't allowed to exercise for about a good six months, which by the time all was said and done I was down in Miami. As you may not know, Florida is completely flat. It is not conducive to hiking. Although, they do have nature trails, but it's not the same. I just need to get my hands on some hiking boots and off to the trails I go. This is also an activity that Dan enjoys, which is a plus.

I'll keep you posted on how it works out!

No comments: