Friday, February 22, 2008

So What Happens When You're Experimenting in the Kitchen?

You end up with a tummy ache. I was trying to make chocolate mousse, but instead I ended up with more truffles (I'll explain in a little bit). It was the best mistake I've ever made. I might have mentioned this before, but I want to start my own truffle business. In order to do so, I need to come up with my own recipe (only fair).

Well I did and not on purpose. Not to brag, but what I came up with today was fabulous. Those of you that know me, know that I don't brag about my cooking. In fact, I tend to be very critical and I'm never satisfied with the outcome. Although I have to perfect this recipe (after all, it was suppose to be chocolate mousse), I was very satisfied with the outcome.

The truffles were rolled in roasted hazelnuts that were absolutely delicious. My secret ingredient made these chocolates stand out. The flavors came together beautifully. I can't wait until my friends and family try these out. I want to see their reactions!

So how did I go from chocolate mousse to truffles? Well, I ran out of heavy cream, which didn't allow me to fluff the chocolate up as much as it should have. I didn't want to throw away the chocolate, so I rolled it up. Since I did whip up the cream, my truffles are pretty soft. I actually have to keep them refrigerated. Nonetheless, they are still yummy!

Continuing with the kitchen theme, I made a pretty good meatloaf. I'm not sure if it tastes like a meatloaf should, but it was pretty damn good. As a side dish, I made mashed potatoes. My original idea was to make potatoes au gratin, but I had run out of the heavy cream. There was no way I was going to venture out today with the storm. So, mashed potatoes it was.

Well, I don't have to worry about cooking tomorrow. We have plenty of leftovers. Baking is also out of the question. With all the truffles I've made in the last few days, the last thing I need is any more sweets.

Time to go to sleep! I'm exhausted! Even though I didn't go into work today, I never got a chance to take a nap. I've been up since 5 am. Yawn.

No comments: