Saturday, August 21, 2004

Accident Prone

For those of you that know me well, you have come to accept me as very accident prone. I'm always tripping, getting hurt, or dropping things. It's part of my charm. Even Dan has come to accept me for what I am. At the beginning of our relationship, he would jump at the sound of me tripping or yelling because I banged my head (which explains a lot about me). Now, he just laughs at me and says "You're so freakin clumsy." I laugh right along with him (unless I'm already pissed off and then I just glare at him).

Well, I have the perfect excuse for this. I can't help it! It's because I'm ambidextrous! I was watching the Discovery Science Channel the other day. I cannot recall the program I was watching, but a segment on clumsy people came up. I immediately focused on what was being said. The narrator was explaining why there are some people more accident prone than others. The answer is that those that are left-handed, which is the hand I write with, tend to be more accident prone than right-handed people. Those that are ambidextrous (I use my right hand for everything else from throwing a ball to crocheting, and sometimes writing) are the clumsiest. The reason for this is because since there is no preference for either side of the brain, the actions taken are not as defined. I guess right-handed people have this under control.

There you have it! I got so excited when I heard this that I called Dan at work and told him about it. I don't feel like a weirdo anymore. As careful as I try to be, I know that I will somehow manage to trip or something.

No comments: