Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Hanging Coffins

While I was crocheting last night, I had the Discovery Science Channel on. I began watching a documentary about the Bo peoples of Southwestern China. These people practically vanished about 1000 years ago. I believe they were annihilated by the Ming Dynasty (I might be incorrect on this point). There are descendants of these people present today. What's fascinating about them is the fact that they had a special ritual with their deceased. Instead of burying them or cremating them, their coffins were suspended against high points of mountains. I found this to be so bizarre and interesting. How would these people carry these coffins that weighed about 500 pounds along the sides of these cliffs? There was practically no room to walk. In fact, archaeologists have not been able to reach most of the coffins. If it happens to be shown again, I strongly urge you to watch it. You'll be just as amazed.

No comments: