Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter

I love Harry Potter! I have sat down and read this series for hours. When I was growing up, there was nothing like this out there. I've always been the one to read books that have to deal with mystery, witches, vampires, and etc. You get the picture. I LOVE IT! When I first got my hands on Harry Potter, I was a bit envious for not having this while growing up. I would have devoured each and every single book and bought everything that had to do with it.

I purposely waited to read the sixth book up until this past week. I actually finished reading it yesterday. Dan and I saw the Order of the Phoenix about two weeks ago. So, this epic is fresh in my mind. I get so into the book that if I wanted to (or had the time), I could read it in a day. Mind you these books have anywhere from 600 to 800 something pages.

I didn't pre-order my seventh book. I figured I'd get it when I get it, but the kid in me set in yesterday. Many bookstores were opening up at midnight to release it. I told Dan that I wanted to go. Now, I wasn't going to camp out either like I saw people do at the Toys "R" Us in Times Square do, but I wanted my hands on it.

It was around 11 pm and I was falling asleep. I seriously doubted that I would go, but then I began thinking. This is the last book in a series I've been reading for years and when would be the next time that I could just get up and go to an event like this? We got up and went to the nearest Barnes & Nobles. Of course the line was huge. Cops were threatening to shut the place down because everyone was crowding the entrance. Teenagers were dressed up as witches and wizards. Those that bought the book got cheered when leaving the store. It was just a lot of fun.

I had found out that this particular bookstore had 20,000 copies of the book. I knew if I waited patiently, I would get my hands on it. Then my tiredness set in. I had only been standing on line for about half an hour. Going back home was sounding very sweet, but then I remembered something. About two weeks ago, I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours to watch the press release of the movie Superbad, which you should go and see when it comes out. If I could hold out for that, I could do the same for Harry Potter.

Luckily, we found out that the Path Mark in the complex was also selling the book. I figured it would be more expensive than at B&N. It turned out that if you spent $25 on groceries and had the Path Mark card, you would get the book for $17. That's two dollars cheaper than at B&N where you had to be a member to receive it at that price. Since we needed to buy some groceries anyway, Dan told me to get off the line and drive over. There was no wait, either. So, I got my book!!

I read about a good 25 pages before I could barely keep my eyes open. Now, the trick is to pace myself. I don't want to devour this last book so quickly, but I know myself. It'll probably happen anyway.

No comments: