Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hummus

I love eating hummus. In fact, I could eat it all day. I like making my own. If you have all the ingredients available to you, it comes out cheaper and you know what's in it. So, I'll share the recipe with you. I have to warn you though that some of the ingredients I use, I don't measure. If you have some type of cooking sense, you'll get it. Ready?

Two 15 ounce cans of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
3 garlic cloves (more or less depends on how much you like garlic)
1 lemon
2 tablespoons of Tahini dressing (sesame seed spread) or if you can't find Tahini substitute with creamy peanut butter (1 tablespoon)
3/4 cup of water
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Place chick peas, minced garlic, juice of the lemon, Tahini dressing, and water into blender. While pureeing (I'm not sure if that's a word), add salt and pepper (I add enough pepper where I could begin seeing it throughout the mix). Then start adding the olive oil. Add enough that mixture is blending smoothly, but still has a thick consistency (think of McDs shakes).

Obviously try your concoction when it's done to see if you need to add more salt or pepper. Then place in the fridge for about three hours. This will allow for all the ingredients to come together. And voila!

The hummus I made yesterday was by far the best I have ever made. I happened to have found Tahini dressing, which made all the difference. I usually make it with peanut butter, but I always find that it's missing something. It tasted perfect when I tried it right out of the blender. I could only imagine what it tastes like today. Enjoy!

No comments: