Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Risotto

Ok, I'm in a recipe sharing mood today. I love making risotto. So here's an easy recipe that anyone could make.

This one is a green bean risotto that I made last night. The great thing about risotto is that you could substitute anything. I've made spinach and asparagus risottos, also.

2 cups of Arborio rice
About half of a medium yellow onion minced (if it's a large onion, just a couple of slices will suffice)
6 to 7 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of parmessan cheese (buy the one they sell in the deli aisle, it tastes better)
1/2 cup of dry cooking wine
2 tablespoons of butter
olive oil
(this the basic recipe for risotto, now for the green beans)

A bunch of green beans
2 garlic cloves minced

Ok, here's the prep for risotto:
Put some olive oil in a pot, heat and throw in the minced onion. Do not let brown. About two minutes, throw in the two cups of rice. Sautee for few minutes (again, don't let it brown). Add salt and pepper (about a teaspoon each). Then add the dry cooking wine. Wait until the wine is absorbed into the rice and begin adding chicken broth 1/2 at a time. Constantly stir and wait until it's absorbed. This process will take about twenty to thirty minutes. Test the rice to make sure it's soft. Add the cheese and butter to finish off the rice.

Now with the green beans:
I cut up the green beans about an inch and half long, boil them until soft, and sautee with garlic and olive oil.

Let's mix it up:
Throw in the green beans into the the pot with the risotto and mix. And there you have it. Green bean risotto. If you don't like green beans then add spinach or asparagus. Same recipe. I hope you try it and enjoy it.

2 comments:

all that's right, or not said...

hummus, risotto, what next? I am looking forward to trying them both!

Xia Diaz said...

I'm always trying to make something new so that we don't get bored eating the same thing over and over. I also try to make healthy foods, which the risotto and hummus both are. The only times I don't care about being health conscious is when I'm baking cakes or cookies or making baked ziti.